IMPORTANT COVID POLICY UPDATE
Please note that while wearing a mask is highly encouraged, it is not mandatory for this workshop.
Join artist Irene Yang in this 4-week introduction to soft pastels. You will be guided step-by step on the application of pastels through various techniques while you explore the beautiful characteristics of soft pastels. Weeks 1 and 2 will focus on simple still life objects, while in weeks 3 and 4 you will work from a reference photo.
Topics covered include:
- Choosing the colour of the paper
- Blending techniques
- Tonal sketching
- Basic knowledge of art elements such as: shading, lighting, form, composition and colour
Time: 1:00 – 3:30pm
Dates: Mondays, October 16, 23, 30, November 6, 2023
Duration: 4 weeks
Skill level: Beginners
Capacity: 10 students
Seniors Discount: Seniors aged 65+ are eligible for a 20% discount on all adult workshops; enter coupon code SENIOR65 at checkout.
Supplies to bring:
- A box of soft pastels, not oil pastels (at least 24 colours or more)
- A pad of assorted-colour pastel papers 9”x12” OR you can purchase 12 pieces of 9”x12” assorted-colour papers from the instructor for $6.00
- Cotton rags or kitchen paper towels
- Kneaded eraser
- Board (slightly bigger than 9”x12”)
- Clip or masking tape
- Synthetic brushes – fan brush or flat brush or both
About your Instructor
Irene Yang completed a 4-year program in 3-dimensional Interior Design and worked as a stage designer in Hong Kong. She furthered her study in Fashion Design at Toronto Metropolitan University and completed a Bachelor of Education at University of Toronto as well. She developed valuable skills and experience in art and design while she was working in fashion field and as an art instructor in Toronto. Irene works with a variety of mediums such as ball point pen, colour pencil, pastel, acrylic, watercolour as well as marker. She is excited to share her expertise with everyone.
SJAC’s Workshop Policies