SJAC updated COVID-19 policies as of September 21, 2021
All of us here at SJAC would like to thank the community of Greater Saint John for your support and kind cooperation through the challenges of the last 16 months. We are confident we can count on your continued help in the transitional phases to come.
As the province of New Brunswick transitions into ‘Green’, SJAC’s policies will adapt – and no doubt be subject to ongoing change – as we ease into this new stage of the pandemic.
Here is a guide on how our policies will be updated on September 22, 2021 and what will stay the same for the time being (editor’s note: updated on Sept. 21/21):
Proof of Vaccination
As of September 22, 2021, some New Brunswick businesses will require Proof of Vaccination to access non-essential services.
All people aged 12 and up will be required to show their record of immunization or medical exemption certificate and a government issued identification to be able to access some services.
SJAC’s programs (galleries, workshops, performing arts events, rental events) fall under these included categories of services:
- Indoor festivals, performing arts and sporting events
- Indoor organized gatherings like weddings, funerals, parties (excluding parties in a private dwelling), conferences and workshops
- Indoor organized group recreational classes and activities
Accepted proof of vaccination:
- MyHealthNB record
- Immunization record from an RHA clinic, pharmacy, or Public Health
- Photo or copy of an immunization record
- Proof of Vaccination from another jurisdiction
- Medical exemption certificate
Accepted government-issued ID:
- Driver’s license
- Medicare card
- Birth Certificate
- Government photo ID card
Please be ready to show your proof of vaccination and ID to staff when you arrive. People taking multiple-week classes or regular guild members (eg. the Carnegie Rughookers) will only need to be cleared once.
As of Wednesday, September 22, 2021, the Province of New Brunswick is instituting community mask mandates. Masks will be mandatory in all indoor public spaces, including:
- public spaces where the public and employees interact, such as retail businesses, malls, service centres, places of worship, and restaurants and bars except while eating;
- organized indoor gatherings in public spaces, such as weddings and funerals;
- common areas like lobbies, elevators and hallways, and public shared spaces including those in private sector and government workspaces; and
- public transportation.
All SJAC programming, events, and rentals are included under this mandate. Disposable masks are available if you need one!
- Stay home if you have symptoms: You’ll continue to see our familiar passive screening signage at entrances, and are reminded to stay home if you have symptoms and wait until you are fully recovered before you visit (and are encouraged to get tested.)
- Traffic flow & social distancing: With our large gallery spaces, it’s easy to maintain social distance! We encourage guests to give each other plenty of space as they move throughout the building and especially around entrances/exits.
- Hygiene: We’ll maintain our heightened Covid cleaning protocols, and have plenty of hand sanitizing stations available. Signage demonstrating proper hand washing technique will remain in our facilities, and folks are reminded to follow respiratory hygiene practices like sneezing into your elbow.
- Contact tracing: Contract tracing is no longer required for general gallery visits.
A Note About Current and Upcoming Programming
SJAC staff are working now to contact everyone involved in current or immediately upcoming programming, to update them on these necessary policies. This includes current and registered workshop students, rental clients, and other regular users of our facilities.
We are happy to work with current or upcoming (already registered) workshop attendees who are not fully vaccinated to find the option that works best for them: they can be fully refunded the cost of their course, or we can put their registration ‘on hold’ until the next available session of that workshop if they will have their vaccinations completed by that later date.
SJAC is committed to fostering a non-discriminatory atmosphere where our guests feel comfortable and welcome to wear a mask and keep their distance, and hope that all our visitors will continue to support & respect our policies and each other’s personal comfort levels as we ease into this transitional period together.
Please don’t hesitate to let our staff know if we can be of assistance!
The public is welcome to read our full COVID-19 (pre-Green Level) Operational Plan here / Appendices (floorplan, signage, cleaning checklists) here.