Artistic Pursuits • New Friends • Self-Expression • Confidence
SJAC is very excited to introduce ‘The Art Room’: Visual Art Fundamentals Program for Kids ages 9-12!
‘The Art Room’ program provides keen young artists with an age-appropriate visual arts education that ignites creativity in a quality learning environment. Education in the visual arts fosters students’ exploration and expression of ideas while enhancing mental, emotional and motor skills. At the Saint John Arts Centre, students of ‘The Art Room’ program benefit from new social connections, exciting projects, and lots of art related fun-facts!
There are five workshops, representing 40 hours of class time with the instructors. The workshops are taught by highly qualified art professionals:
- Let’s Draw
- Let’s Paint
- Create with Clay
- Fun with Printmaking
- Wild Art Studio (revolving topics)
Program Learning Outcomes:
By the end of the program, students will be able to:
- Select appropriate materials to produce artwork in a variety of media;
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of elements and principles of art and design through their use in compositions;
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of colour theory through the use of colour in compositions;
- Source and use ideas for their artwork through various methods (for example, memory, observation and imagination); and,
- Compile a small portfolio of artwork created with a variety of media and techniques.
The workshops follow the same structure:
- Brief introduction to the goals of the class and ‘fun facts’
- Teacher demo, and discussion of the various tools and materials
- Student work time
- Wrap up discussion with question period
Each workshop is 4 weeks long, with 2-hour classes per week. Students can register for any or all of these workshops as they are offered throughout the year.
Cost per workshop is $90 (Tuition fee: $80 per workshop / Materials fee: $10 fee per workshop.
Sign up now!
COVID-19 POLICY NOTE: As a public building, SJAC must follow the Government of New Brunswick’s Public Health guidelines on the coronavirus. In the unfortunate event that the local Saint John Zone must ‘move back’ to stricter social distancing policies and classes must be cancelled, participants will be refunded for the remaining classes.
Please note that community face masks are required during the class.