SJAC is thrilled to partner with the New Brunswick College of Craft and Design as the Saint John location for the College’s Foundation Visual Arts program.
This 1-year certificate program offers a wide-ranging overview of the practice, theory and history of the visual arts and is achieved over two semesters. A solid technical grounding and an understanding of the conceptual framework of visual art is learned through a hands-on project-based curriculum. The inaugural year, with a cohort of 15 students, and the current year, with a cohort of 9 students (to accommodate social distancing) have been reviewed as a resounding success by NBCCD, local staff, and students alike. SJAC’s existing studio spaces (and modifications to tailor the Tompkins Studio Hall to lecture theatre needs) have proven very successful, bringing a space for quality post-secondary visual arts education to Saint John-based students.
In Foundation Visual Arts, you will:
- Fine-tune your creativity with a preparatory program that teaches drawing, colour study, creative process, art history, design, and writing for designers and makers.
- Develop dexterity and visual problem solving with hands-on, project-based curriculum.
- Document your work and prepare your professional portfolio – a must-have for artists and designers when applying for grants, scholarships and further study.
- Virtually explore a selection of our studios to help determine your direction for the future.
- Use your foundational skills to excel in any of our specialized Diploma programs in the following year.
1 Year | 2 Semesters | September-April
Foundation Visual Arts is offered in Fredericton, at the College, and in Saint John at the Saint John Arts Centre. You’ll find both options in the online application.