SJAC is proud to partner once again with Sculpture Saint John to offer workshops for you to be a stone sculptor, too! Join Ken Waiwood and the Charlotte county based ‘Chamcook Stoners’ carving group for a one-day, fun and informative intro course that will teach you the basics of stone sculpting. Using alabaster stone, you’ll learn how to work safely using hand and power tools and how to finish and present your sculpture. This course is appropriate for beginners ages 16 and up, classes limited to 8 participants. All workshops are presented at the Sculpture Symposium work site in the workshop tent.
About the Instructor: Ken Waiwood has been turning stone from the Maritimes for over 15 years. He is a member of the New Brunswick Crafts Council and has exhibited nationally and internationally. Ken invites local stone carvers (the Chamcook Stoners) to his workshop once a week to work on various pieces.
Note from the instructor: What to wear and bring
- Footwear: please wear sturdy, closed-toes shoes or boots – no sandals please, protect your toes!
- Safety equipment: Basic safety equipment will be provided (safety glasses, dust masks), but please bring along your own glasses or dust masks/respirators if you know it will be more comfortable for you.
- Gloves: if you think your hands would benefit from the extra protection, you may want to bring along leather work gloves.
- Apron: sculpting is very dusty – bring along an apron if you want to keep at least some off your clothing
- Basket/bucket: to transport your work of art, sanding supplies, handouts at the end of the day